If you are going abroad or on an extended trip, you should at least consider getting some type of trip/travel insurance. You just never know what can happen. With a policy that protects you from unforeseen events, you can at least have a little peace of mind. Many of us know that it’s a good idea, but let’s discuss what trip insurance covers.
First of all, this type of policy can vary widely depending upon where you live, what company you are working with, and how much protection you really want to pay for. It varies so much that it’s really difficult to discuss. Because of this, I will primarily draw upon the common policies offered by Allianz Global Assistance, one of the better know traveler’s insurance companies that does a ton of business with airline carriers such as United.
Secondly, with many companies you can actually pick and choose the type of things/issues/problems that trip insurance covers. Some are “all inclusive packages”, where you either buy it or you don’t, but many do allow you to select what you want.
Here is a list of some of the most common trip insurance coverages out there:
- Trip Cancellation Protection: Let’s say that you have to cancel your trip due to an unforeseen emergency that the policy allows, this will reimburse you for any expenses including airfare tickets.
- Trip Interruption Protection: If your trip is interrupted or delayed due to a reason that is covered by your travel insurance plan, this will reimburse you for any costs.
- Emergency Medical or Dental: For instance, if you travel to Pakistan and have to have an emergency tonsil removal, this will reimburse you for that emergency medical care.
- Emergency Transportation For Medical: Maybe you are in Iraq and need to have a brain operation? This would pay to have you flown to a first world hospital for the surgery.
- Lost Baggage: If the airline loses your luggage, you will be reimbursed.
- Delayed Baggage: If the airline tells you that your luggage will be a few days late, this will help you to buy a few items that you will need in the meantime.
There are many other types of trip insurance coverage that are available from various companies. To find out what each one covers, it’s best to reach out to a few companies and request detailed information.